These Cheesy Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a delicious, healthy fall dish you can make at home for date night. These boats are light yet packed with bold fall flavors thanks to the curry, zucchini, and apples.
The thing I love about these boats separate from them being healthy and tasty is once you get the hang of making them, you can stuff them with whatever you’d like. They’re super versatile. I like to use whatever veggies are in season and depending on who you’re cooking for, you can use different proteins. For example, I usually make two boats using tofu or tempeh for me and two boats using shredded chicken for my guy.
As a topping, you can add any cheese you’d like. I went with shredded cheddar cheese. Shredded mozzarella would also taste great. If you’d like to make them vegan or lactose free, feel free to use a shredded non-dairy cheese or remove cheese altogether. Substitutes could include chopped almonds or cashews, or even breadcrumbs.
- 4 small zucchini, unpeeled
- 1 cup minced onion (about ⅓ large onion)
- ⅓ cup minced gala apple (about ⅓ medium apple)
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 6 ounce protein of your choice (I used firm tofu)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and set pulp aside, leaving ½-in. shells. Finely chop pulp (you'll need about 1½ cups pulp). Cover a baking sheet with parchment and place zucchini boats on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil. Pre-cook for 15 minutes. Once done, remove from oven but keep oven on.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, apple, and celery for 5 minutes. Add tofu, curry, and sea salt and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetables into pre-cooked zucchini boats. Top with shredded cheese. Put any leftover vegetable filling into a small pan such as a loaf pan and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 5 minutes. If you want a crispy golden brown top, broil for the last 90 seconds until golden brown. Enjoy!