Avocado pesto is definitely a treat.
With basil and pine nuts, the avocado pesto lends itself to classic pesto flavors with a twist. The first part of the twist is it’s packed with fiber-boosting broccoli that you can’t even taste. Secondly, it’s oil free yet still rich and creamy thanks to the avocado, which brings all the flavors together and adds a wonderful silky green color and texture.
This Creamy Avocado Pesto coats pasta wonderfully but is also extremely versatile. Because it doesn’t contain any dairy, it makes a great dish to pack for picnics and the beach. I made this dish as a side dish but to make it an entree, just add a few ounces of your favorite protein. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for outdoor summer salad inspiration, this is a great summer salad. It’s less fussy being outdoors because it doesn’t contain any cheese, milk, or egg. I hope you like it.
- 12 ounces uncooked quinoa spiral pasta (or regular spiral pasta)
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ripe California avocado, peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain, and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine steamed broccoli, garlic powder, avocado, pine nuts, basil, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water. Add more water as needed to help process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with pesto sauce until well incorporated. Plate the pasta and top each dish with a handful of tomatoes and a few sprigs of fresh basil. Serve warm or chilled.