Fiesta Black Bean Quinoa Roll-Up Tacos make a simple weeknight meal for the whole family.
I tried this dish out for one of my cooking classes and it was a hit. I needed something healthy, plant-based, and popular with the kids.
This yummy dish is simple and naturally delicious. I cut down on the fat that traditional tacos typically have by swapping ground beef for a spicy black bean quinoa mixture.
This black bean quinoa mixture has definitely become a staple in my house now. It’s not only packed with flavor from the chili powder, onion and cumin, but it’s a perfect meaty substitute being substantial and a complete protein. Be sure to check the tortillas to make sure they aren’t ‘blends’ (corn with some wheat thrown in).
Hope you like them. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¾ cup medium salsa, divided
- 8 ounces shredded cabbage (or lettuce)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese (or cheese alternative)
- 12 7-inch corn tortillas
- Be sure to cook quinoa in advance according to package instructions.
- Place oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, chili powder, and cumin for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and place black beans, quinoa, and ¼ cup of salsa into skillet; cook and stir for 2 minutes until well combined and warm. Remove from heat and place into a medium bowl
- In separate small bowls, place shredded cabbage and shredded cheese.
- Assemble tacos by placing about 1 tablespoon each of quinoa mixture, cabbage, and cheese into the center of the tortilla. Top with 1 teaspoon of salsa. Carefully roll up the taco and serve. Enjoy!