This slaw salad is so beautiful in color, almost too pretty to eat. It has deep purple hues from lightly-steamed red cabbage, red hues from vine tomatoes, granny-smith apple green, a deeper green from fresh basil, and golden brown from fresh chickpeas.
This recipe makes a great side dish with some picnic or BBQ foods, a great stand-alone salad, or top some baguette slices with the slaw as a light lunch. I hope you enjoy it.
- ½ head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, cut into long thin strips
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Start out by steaming the shredded red cabbage for 1-2 minutes over medium-heat to make the pieces softer to the bite; you can omit this step if you like it very crunchy.
- Assemble cabbage, chickpeas, tomatoes, apple, shallots, and basil onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, and honey. Pour dressing over slaw and add salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss. Chill for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers and use within 7 days.