We all know grocery shopping and cooking with kids around can be a little challenging at times. Here are ideas on how to shop and cook with kids in a fun, inclusive way.
How to Shop and Cook with Kids:
1. Mean Green Cleaning Machine: Let them wash fruits and veggies when preparing foods for cooking or eating.
2. Pick A Peck: When shopping, let them select a new fruit or vegetable to try … or several!
3. Make It Snappy: Let them snap the green beans, snap peas or break the flowerets from the broccoli or cauliflower.
4. I Spy: Play “I Spy” in the produce section when grocery shopping.
5. Tear It Up: Let them tear the lettuce for salads and sandwiches.
6. Measure Up: Let them measure the frozen vegetables before cooking them.
7. Peel & Slice: Older children can peel and slice carrots, cucumbers, potatoes and others. They now sell colorful, kid-friendly peelers.
8. Stir & Spice: Make applesauce from fresh apples. Let them help stir and add the cinnamon.
9. A Sprinkle A Day: Let them smell and then sprinkle herbs and spices onto vegetables.
10. Monster Mash: Pull out the potato masher and let the kids mash away.
Happy shopping and cooking!
Adapted from Fruits & Veggies More Matters