Watermelon will forever bring me back to my youth and a special birthday party.
For my sixth birthday, my mom threw me a pink and green-themed birthday party, my two favorite colors at the time. Watermelon fit in nicely with this theme. My mother gathered napkins, plates, cups and goody bags featuring watermelons. Some of the goodies in the bag were watermelon-themed as well. And that year, I got my first big-girl bike, a big sea-foam green bike with light pink streamers. Thanks mom.
Fresh juices, like these Fresh Watermelon Coolers, give us a chance to stay healthy and hydrated, especially during the hot summer months. It’s the perfect fruit to juice because it’s hydrating (about 92% water), nutritious, and yet, still has great flavor. It’s loaded with good stuff: vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber, B6, B1, potassium and magnesium.
The watermelon coolers are not too sweet so feel free to add a sweetener of your choice to it. If you’re looking for a cocktail, try adding a splash of amaretto. Makes the perfect summer cocktail.
- 1 pound seedless watermelon
- 10 ice cubes
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 sprigs of mint to garnish
- Remove rind and chop watermelon into chunks. Add watermelon pieces, juice of orange, orange zest and ice cubes to a blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds. Place drink into 2 serving glasses with ice and garnish with mint. Enjoy! Makes 3 cups.